Friday, November 15, 2013

Cross Curriculum Canvas_Remix

First of all, the reason I chose to remix the original canvas on the "Importance of Learning Languages" was because I know music and language go hand and hand. I have had a few spanish teachers who actually had us do a number of activities that involved listening and even singing spanish music. I really enjoyed those classes and I still remember the stuff I learned in those lessons. Also, as musicians we sing and play all different cultures music, why not actually tie these two subjects together. Through music we can learn other cultures languages, traditions, and lifestyle in general. After choosing this canvas to remix I wanted to rearrange how the information was laid out on the canvas because some of the images got stretched and distorted on the original canvas. I also wanted our general information such as overview text widget and essential questions widget to be next to each other so that they could both be paid attention to equally. I chose Dora the Explorer to be an essential part of this unit because she is always trying to get students to learn another language through song and dance. I remember as a child I learned a lot of my spanish basics from watching the show. If there were "Dora's" for other languages I think children would be more interested in learning those languages. One thing that worked out very nicely were my cc standards for music, which fit perfectly with the unit. I liked a lot of the original video's and additional resources because it really opened my eyes to the education in other countries and cultures. I actually got the idea of teaching languages through music from one of the Japanese students in the video. After I thought about it I realized that it would be perfect. I hope you enjoy the canvas.


No comments:

Post a Comment